Friday 6 March 2015

How to: Purple/Pink dip dye

Heya!
Little bit of a different post type but as I recently dyed my hair some pretty interesting colours, I thought I'd share with how I managed to do this at home.
Firstly, I'm not a hairdresser, I've been dying my own hair for several years now, so I kinda know what I'm doing, but my hair is my own and not yours so if you really want something done properly head down to your nearest salon!
Secondly: my hair was very very light platinum blonde, hence why I got quite bright colours. If your hair isn't ash blonde, the colours won't be as vibrant, and it may be more of a tint colour! Check packets of dyes as sometimes they have a colour chart of your expected colour.
Okay, first things first you will need:
The hair dye that you want to use (I used a Schwarzkopf pink dye and a Directions Violet)
A conditioner, preferably a white one, mine is a light blue but it was the cheapest I could find so... heh
A tint brush but you can use your hands just as easily!
A tub to mix the dye and the conditioner.

Okay, the first thing you need to do, is whack a bunch of that conditioner into some tubs, enough that will cover the amount of hair that you'll be dying. I have quite a lot of hair, therefore used quite a lot of conditioner, and even then I nearly ran out of purple for the top of my hair. Next, add the amount of dye you want to create the colour you're looking for. Most bright dyes like directions/manic panic come out the colour that they look, in my experience anyway. However it's always worth letting it get a little bit darker so the colour will fade to that which you want. Remember to only add a little but of dye each time, like a teeny amount, so as not to go too far dark/whatever! You can add more but you can't take away the colour!



 Next up, whack that stuff all over yo scalp. I always start with the front by my forehead, as you can see in the pictures above, and then work my way back and down to the tips. I don't know I do, personal preference I suppose. There's no right way to do this. If you're only going one colour, go nuts and just massage it all over the place.
Below you can see what my head looked like after all the dye was applied. I tried to blend in the two colours but it didn't quite work, perhaps because they were different makes. Next time I'm planning on mixing an intermediate colour so it all goes a lot smoother.





And voila, the final look, complete with my gym clothes and me desperately trying to not get my face in the picture. As you can see, the colours are pretty true to colour, apart from maybe the purple being a little paler, but I wasn't too surprised about that as it didn't seem to take to well when applied and I was running out so couldn't put enough on as I would have liked. Despite this I LOVE the colours together, and after a few washes the pink is more cotton candy colour and the purple is quite lavender/pastel like and ah it's really nice.
What do you think of my new hair?? (was it a good tutorial?)
Megan xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs