Tuesday 22 July 2014

Volunteering at Latitude Festival 2014


Hello again!
I know it's been a while since I last updated but I have a valid excuse, for the last week I've been away at Latitude Festival in Suffolk, volunteering with Hotbox Events as a steward! This essentially meant I got free entry to the festival (there's a £230 deposit that is returned in October) and in exchange I had to work 3 lots of 8 hour shifts throughout the festival. There are other shifts available, some lucky bums only had two shifts of 6 and a half hours, but I worked Friday 1am-9am, Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 5pm-1am.
All in all, it was a pretty good experience, you actually end up working a 9 hour shift as you have to be there an hour early, and sometimes if the people taking over from you are late you can be there even longer. This is especially prominent as the company I was with was horrendously unorganised for the first two days and we had no idea what we were meant to be doing. Personally, as a first time goer to Latitude, I probably wouldn't have gone this year if I had to have bought the ticket myself, but I would happily do so next year, as the atmosphere is perfect and the site is absolutely beautiful. Due to my work shifts though, I felt that I missed out on a lot, and didn't really ever get in to the atmosphere... But I guess that's what I should have expected.


Overall, I'm not sure if I would volunteer again, especially if the line-up was good, HOWEVER, I did have an absolutely fantastic time, and I met some absolutely fantastic people, and saw some brilliant live acts (such as Bombay Bicycle Club, pictured above). If you are looking for a cheap way to get to festivals and you aren't too bothered about missing bands and being exhausted for the whole festival, look no further, as with just the one deposit you can also attend Reading/Leeds festival with the same company, which is very nifty and budget friendly.

The lovely people I met and camped with!
A quick round up of acts/bands I managed to see:
Billy Bragg, Kelis, Crystal Fighters, Lily Allen, First Aid Kit, Bombay Bicycle Club, Milton Jones,  George Ezra, Temples etc.
If you have any questions, I'll try and answer, but that's all for now!
Megan xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs